Oasis in the Desert
By the spring of 1883, several families had joined the Behunins, and Caineville continued to grow into an agricultural community. During the winter of 1892-‘93 a diphtheria outbreak struck the community, claiming many lives including several children. Over the years the town was also plagued by several floods. After a particularly devastating flood in 1909 many farmers and ranchers abandoned the town. Today Caineville is a sparsely-populated ranching community, offering some tourist amenities such as motel rooms, an RV park, rental teepees, a café, and backcountry tours. Several original structures remain, including the school-church building, the cemetery, and Behunin’s red sandstone cabin. Designed to blend in with the surrounding landscape, the cabin can be seen just off Highway 24 to the east of Capitol Reef National Park.
The town has been reputed to be named for John T. Caine, a congressional representative from Utah, and also for the wild cane that grew along the fertile banks of the Fremont River.